Wednesday, August 09, 2006

I could have been dead



I've been wondering for a while what happens when someone you know, or I should say 'virtually know', dies? How would you even know that they had died? I have a few websites I check everyday, mostly blogs that are updated multiple times a day. But sometimes days go by with no posts. Are they dead? I doubt it, but you never know. Michele Gauler at the RCA did a nice thesis on what could happen to ones digital remains. I saw this project a while ago, and was reminded of it when I saw Time Machine, a new feature apple is putting in OS 10.5. I wonder if they considered this feature as a way of connecting with someone who has passed away. What will your loved ones think if they took a trip through your computer's history? I have asked several people to destroy my computer if I were to die suddenly. Not so much because I have dirty secrets I want to stay hidden away, but because I feel that my computer holds so much personal information that I would feel uncomfortable with anyone looking through it all. I would like a little folder on my computer for each one of my good friends where I could put pictures, movies, notes, and songs that were just for them. And when I go tits up (as my grandpa would say), those folders could be sent to them as a little thank you for the memories.

I just finished reading a Simplicity by John Maeda (it was very good), at the very end he tells a story about one of his students, Marc, who helps out at a shelter for poor people near the end of their lives. He noticed that these people had all their worldly possesions on one shelf beside their beds. He found that everyone had three things in common, a ring, a photo, and a momento of some kind.
Marc's conclusion was "Memories are all that matter in the end."

"When your entire life is reduced to a single shelf of curios, what memories might you enshrine? Life may be complex, but in the end, life is pretty simple if you listen to Marc." (John Maeda)

In grade ten I had an english assignment is which I had to describe what I thought heaven was, and how you could get there. I proposed that heaven was just a collection of all of your most cherished memories, and all you had to do to get there was give others more good memories than bad ones. Since then I have made a concious effort to take mental snapshots of those moments I want to keep with me. A very good friend of mine's father always encourages you to take a picture with your mind instead of a camera. I always kinda liked that...

"Wholly shit Chris, I know you haven't written on your blog in like a million years but WTF?! Chill out with all the sentimental death stuff, and the mile long posts. What, you think you Paul effing Kawai or something?"

"Ok I'm sorry, I'll chill out."

"And stop having arguments with yourself on your blog, espacially when you are sitting e in your room with the lights out..."

"whatever..."

yeah, so "thanks for all the memories guys! I love you!!! Let's keep in touch!" -everyone's yearbook.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

now with facebook we'll never lose touch!
(blogger's going to kick me off thinking that was just an ad)

–Alex

3:04 PM  
Blogger katherine said...

wow, you nerds got here first! shame on me. what i was going to say is, who needs memories now that we have digital cameras? chris, for the record, i love you too, and if we ever lose touch, i will definitely look you up on facebook. xoxoooxxx kat

9:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i wish you WERE dead.
-little sister

10:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I found you via Mr. Toad and also found myself literally "chuckling out loud" catching "little sister's" comment!

("COL"?)

I will be back for some more good reading...

...enjoyed your thoughts

7:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home